When many consider a plant-based diet, the fear of missing out on favorite foods can be a non-starter. No more! This amazing vegan BLT raises the bar and proves that whole foods are indeed absolute stunners, satisfying the even most entrenched cravings.
The smokey-salty flavors that drive omnivores crazy for bacon are really simple to create. Tempeh is a true chameleon, and within 10-minutes will take on an incredible flavor.
The only ingredient you’ll need to seek out is a small bottle of liquid smoke. Worry not, it keeps forever and has a host of sneaky uses in veggie BBQ techniques. Here, it takes simple tempeh and turns it into a delicious maple-smoked veggie bacon in minutes.
Fresh tomatoes, crispy lettuce, and toasted slices of artisan bread round out this classic and satisfying sandwich that will leave you craving it again and again.
BLT lovers, rejoice!
- 1 package tempeh (8 oz or 227 g)
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oil for frying
- 4 slices artisanal bread
- Just mayo (vegan)
- handful of lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, sliced
- Slice the block of tempeh into 4½ inch thick slabs.
- Marinate the tempeh in liquid smoke, tamari, maple syrup and spice mix for 10 minutes, turning pieces halfway through for an even marinade.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and fry tempeh slabs until browned on both sides about 7 minutes each.
- Use your oven broiler or toast your bread until lightly toasted
- Spread Just mayo (vegan) onto the toast
- Assemble tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato onto toast
- Slice in half