One of the most healthy and satisfying breakfasts you can prepare in the winter is creamy steel-cut oats served with seasonal toppings. These overnight oats are made in advance, so with a moment of planning before bed they will come together really quickly in the morning and are guaranteed to keep the hunger at bay until lunch.
Not only are steel-cut oats creamy and delicious, they are a great heart-healthy choice. Oats are low fat, full of fiber, omega-3, protein, and provide a slow release energy. Steel-cut oats are less processed than rolled oats, and as a result they take a little longer to cook. Making them overnight saves precious time in the morning, and you can still enjoy a delicious breakfast on a dark, cold, winter morning.
This recipe is built on a warming combination of banana, juicy pomegranate, walnuts, cinnamon and honey.
Pomegranates are incredibly healthy with many nutrients and antioxidants that help fight off inflammation, cancers, high blood pressure and heart disease.
Sails & Spices Tip: The best way to remove the pomegranate seeds is to cut off the top of the fruit, and then score 6 lines from top to bottom. From here you can crack it open, and submerge the peices in a large bowl of water to loosen the seeds. The seeds will sink to the bottom and the everything else float to the top. Keep a jar of pomegranate seeds in the fridge to sprinkle on breakfasts, salads, or any other dish for burst of sweet juicy flavor. Pomegranates are only in season October to February so eat them up while they are around!
- ⅓ cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs superfood seeds such as hemp seeds, chia seeds, or flax seeds (optional)
- ⅓ cup of almond milk
- 1 sliced banana
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup of pomegranate arils
- 1 tablespoon of local spring harvested honey (try maple syrup for a vegan option)
- Starting the night before, combine steel-cut oats, water, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and superfood seeds in a small pot.
- Bring the water and oats to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, allowing to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with a lid and store oats overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning give the oats a stir, add the almond milk, and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Top with sliced bananas, pomegranate seeds, and chopped walnuts. Drizzle with honey and enjoy.