At one of our favourite Italian restaurants, there is a secret. The food is absolutely stunning. The only problem is that the appetizers and salads are very large and topped with meats or cheeses that we find too heavy to accompany a main course.
One evening, while contemplating a starter the waiter commented “Sir, while not on the menu, perhaps you would enjoy the Secret Salad?”. He described it as perfectly simple. Consisting of the very freshest greens of the day, a super premium olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper, he assured me it would be the perfect light accompaniment to a full main course.
We agree, and have since adopted it as a house-favourite side salad which pairs well alongside pastas, casseroles, and risottos.
Give it a try tonight, and let us know what you think of the secret… but please… don’t tell!
- 3-4 handfulls of garden-fresh greens
- 1 tbsp super premium extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 lemon wedges
- 1 good pinch of sea salt
- 1 good pinch of cracked pepper
- Thoroughly wash and dry the greens, tear into pieces
- In a mixing bowl, toss the greens with the olive oil, juice of one lemon wedge, and a pinch of sea salt
- Plate, and top with cracked pepper
- Serve, and squeeze the remaining lemon to taste