Sailing the Greek Islands is a dream holiday and one of the best ways you can visit Greece. Away from the crowds, take your time sailing from island to island. Making your own itinerary as you go, you will see Greece in a way you can only experience by sailboat.
Start your day in the Greek Islands by going ashore, and walking by the heaps of tangled fishing lines on the dock, to pick up some strong coffee, fresh pastries, and supplies for the day. With your day’s itinerary planned out, it’s time to raise the anchor and sail out of the harbor, past the cliffs with little white washed houses perched high at the top.
Sailing across the deep blue sea, relax into rhythm, watch the waves roll by, and soak up the sun. After a while, when you decide it might be a good time for lunch, find a small island with a quiet beach cove and stop for a swim in the clear azure waters.
Happy hour starts with a cold beer in the sailboat cockpit when you’ve arrived at your next destination. Once settled in, the islands beckon you to head into town to explore the narrow cobbled streets, arches of bougainvillea, and stucco whitewashed houses.
Dinners are always a highlight, a feast of salty cheeses, honey, and fresh produce enjoyed with a bottle of wine while sitting outside under the stars. Greek food is delicious! Whether we’re in Greece, or just wishing we were, our favorite Greek recipes are in regular rotation. For your next Sunday supper or meal with friends, explore the Super Greens Spanakopita, Lemon Roasted Potatoes, Heirloom Greek Salad, and Tzatziki.
THE CYCLADES ISLANDS
The Cyclades Islands are the most iconic islands in Greece. They are all very picturesque with stunning beaches, ancient ruins and rugged landscape. These are just a few of the most popular islands:
- Santorini – Santorini is so beautiful! With dramatic views, classic whitewashed houses and the blue dome churches; this is the picture perfect spot. If I had to pick one place to stay it would be here, in a boutique hotel with a pool overlooking the Aegean Sea. Santorini is also very popular for its sunsets where hundreds of tourists show up in Oia to jostle for a prime spot on the cliff steps.
- Mykonos – Mykonos is glamorous, with a reputation for its vibrant nightlife. Little Venice is a charming destination with seaside terrace bars and quaint shopping streets. Beware this is also a cruise ship town, so plan accordingly if you are trying to avoid the crowds.
- Ios – Ios is known as a party town, but can also be a place to get away and relax, especially off-season. The hilltop town is a perfect place to immerse yourself in the winding streets and get lost in the best way possible.
- Naxos – Naxos is the largest island and a great place for a buggy adventure day. Driving around you can experience ancient ruins, tucked away mountain villages with the best home-style restaurants, and small fishing towns.
SAILS & SPICES TIPS
- Sailing – Unless you already have a boat and plan on sailing the Greek Islands, it might be easiest to charter a boat and skipper. Share the trip with some friends and you will have your own personal guide to the best islands and restaurants on your trip. One week to 10 days is an ideal amount of time to visit.
- Souvenir Shopping – Find an iconic blue ‘evil eye’ pendant to ward off evil and keep you safe.
ISLAND INTERVIEW RATING
We dream of retiring to an island paradise, and we love interviewing the candidates!
A Greek Island seems like a great place to retire (on a sailboat or on land!). Firstly there’s the Mediterranean climate, the olives, wines and produce, a laid back atmosphere, and absolutely gorgeous beaches. It is close to other European countries, is relatively affordable, and there are visa options for retirement! The main hurdle would be learning some Greek to interact with the locals, but that’s part of the fun.
Island Livability Score: 5/5
This is one of those places where by visiting you think you have checked it off the bucket list, but really it was so beautiful and there is so much to see you really just want to return. This trip was a big inspiration for Sails & Spices and the unique experiences you can have while traveling.
Island Dream Vacation Score: 5/5
Sailing the Greek Islands and visiting Greece should be on everyone’s bucket list. There is no other place like it. The clear blue skies, brilliant blue seas and picturesque whitewash buildings are stunning. The islands are easy to explore on foot and by boat, so what are you waiting for?
For trip planning recommendations, give us a shout!