This salad is spicy, tangy and creamy, just like a great buffalo caesar salad should be. When we want something quick, delicious and healthy to eat on a Monday night, on the weekend before we go to the gym, or when we’ve just got back from traveling, this is the salad I make up.
Tempeh is a chameleon and absorbs the flavor of the buffalo sauce (Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is essential for this), while the Homemade Spiced Garlic Croutons on top make this extra delicious. Our vegan caesar dressing is super quick to whip up and will please even the most traditional caesar salad lover.
Buffalo Tempeh Caesar Salad
- 1/2 package of organic Tempeh
- 3-5 tablespoons Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Head of lettuce
- 1/3 cucumber
- hemp seeds
Spiced Garlic Croutons
- 2 cups worth of artisan bread odds & ends
- 2 tablespoons of organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp steak spice OR 1 tsp blend of onion powder paprika, chili powder, black pepper, sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoon vegan Just Mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoon water as needed
- Cut the tempeh into 1/4 inch strips, and pan fry with a little bit of olive oil on medium heat. A cast iron pan works great to get nicely browned pieces.
- Turn each piece with a fork so they get browned evenly, approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Add Buffalo Sauce to each side and cook 3 minutes more on each side. Remove from heat.
- Wash and dry 1 head of lettuce, tear up into bite size pieces into a large bowl.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch slices.
- Roughly cube the bread ends and place in a large mixing bowl
- Drizzle in the olive oil and spice blend
- Mix by hand to evenly coat the bread cubes
- Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet
- Under a watchful eye, place in the oven on broil with the door slightly ajar, stirring frequently until golden brown on most sides
- In a small bowl or glass, use a fork to mix together the dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mayo, and salt and pepper. The mustard will help the dressing emulsify.
- Add the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time, combining ingredients before adding the next tablespoon.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of water as necessary if the consistency is too thick.
- Dress the salad at the last minute.