Sunday is one of my favorite days of the week. It’s a little pause to enjoy home, family, friends, and good food. I like using the slower Sunday pace to think about the week ahead and get some wholesome food organized. This healthy granola fits the bill and makes a great quick breakfast once your schedule returns to full speed.
This granola is made with applesauce and only a tiny amount of coconut oil and maple syrup, making it far healthier than many recipes, and it tastes absolutely delicious! Enjoy it simply with some nut milk, in a Greek yogurt and berry parfait, or on top of a smoothie bowl.
Coconut and Cherry Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbs ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup can substitute agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C
- Add the rolled oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the apple sauce, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Combine the apple sauce mixture with the oats and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the granola onto two baking trays and bake for 30-45 minutes, stirring and rotating the trays every 10-15 minutes.
- A couple minutes before it looks done, add the coconut flakes and dried cherries and return to the oven.
- Let cool and store in a sealed jar for up to 1 month.
Little habits can add up to big changes over time. It’s so much better waking up on a Monday knowing you are set up for the week, you have a delicious breakfast waiting for you, and your gym bag is packed and ready to go.
What are your favorite ways to spend a Sunday getting ready for the week ahead?