This coffee banana smoothie is perfect for when I am in a rush and am looking for a quick Monday morning pick-me-up. Packed with wholesome ingredients, you can feel good eating it too.
Smoothies are one of my favorite breakfasts. They take 5 minutes to make and travel easily. The protein powder you choose deserves some research, as many may contain ingredients you would rather avoid. To set you on a helpful track with your own study, I’ve been enjoying Vega One nutritional shakes. Their various flavors are 100% vegan and non-GMO, and are packed with leafy greens, seeds, vitamins, and 20g of plant protein. As always, research for yourself and know what you buy.
To make a smoothie with a great chocolate flavor, add cacao nibs or cacao powder, a superfood made from the beans of the Theobroma cacao tree. They are the least processed and natural form of chocolate. Cacao nibs are better for you than dark chocolate and are high in healthy antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. As an added bonus, they’re known as a ‘love drug’.
I love trying new flavors to mix things up, like this coffeeshop-inspired combo. The recipe is so easy you can make it with your eyes half shut, and is certainly a Monday-morning savior.
Coffee & Banana. The Crazy Monkey Smoothie
- 1/2 cup of your preferred milk like cashew milk* or 1%
- 1 tbsp of cacao nibs or powder optional
- 1 banana
- 1 shot of espresso
- 1 scoop of mocha chocolate or vanilla flavored Vega One, or your favorite protein powder
- 1 1/2 cup of ice
- *cashew milk can be made simply by adding 1/4 cup of raw cashews with 1/2 cup water into the blender
- Add all the ingredients together and blend