The holidays are an interesting time for new vegans or vegetarians and their families. Traditions rule, and that means stuffing, gravy, and all of the holiday trimmings. What to make for the plant-eaters? We’ve run into our fair share of less than inspired freezer aisle veggie “options”, and we’re here to say there is a better way!
Having lived in both the north and the south, we call it either dressing or stuffing interchangeably. Whatever your kitchen names it, the dish is a holiday staple… and it needs to be great! A perennial favourite for both our Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners, this vegan stuffing recipe combines fresh herbs, apple, and crunchy walnuts to pull the side-dish into centre stage. Vegans and vegetarians (and their hosts), sigh no more at the holiday dinner table! This will be the star of the show…
Whether it accompanies a traditional holiday bird or stands alone, this dressing is absolutely delicious. To make it a main meal of it’s own accord, prepare & bake it as described. When it’s time to remove the tinfoil, scoop the dressing into a fully baked fall squash or pumpkin, returning it to the oven under a low broil to crisp the top.
Enjoy amongst your best friends and family!
Apple & Herb Thanksgiving Dressing
- 8 cups of 1/2 inch whole grain bread cubes*
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic cloves
- 1 large apple skin on, diced
- 1.5 tbsp each of fresh sage thyme and rosemary**
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C
- Toast the bread cubes on a baking tray until golden and crunchy
- Heat up the olive oil in a heavy pan and sauté the onion, celery, garlic and apples until soft and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, mix the toasted bread cubes, sautéed mixture, fresh chopped herbs and walnuts.
- Pour over two to three cups of stock and combine well until the bread cubes have absorbed the liquid, and the stuffing forms together when pressed down.
- Place into a baking dish and cover with tinfoil, baking for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the top is golden and crunchy.
**The fresh herbs really make this stuffing, if available the poultry herb blend is perfect to use