These Nuts n Bolts should come with a warning. They are so delicious you will certainly eat too many, as we have done on many occasions. Inspired by the traditional Chex Mix Party Mix, these healthier Nuts n Bolts are made with whole wheat cereal, nuts, and the heathy fats of coconut oil and olive oil.
Make up a big batch and snack on them while you are wrapping presents and listening to the Christmas jukebox, or, serve them at your next party. In a jar they make a great little gift. If you are anything like us, you may need to make a second batch if you find all the jars intended as gifts get eaten before they find their new home!
- 4 cups of whole wheat Cheerios or O shaped cereal
- 4 cups of whole wheat Chex, Shreddies or other waffle shaped cereal
- 4 cups of pretzels
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tsp celery salt
- 1.5 tsp seasoning salt
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 cups mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, pistachios and peanuts)
- Preheat the oven to 250 F / 120 C
- Combine the cereals and pretzels together in a large roasting pan or two baking pans.
- Warm the coconut oil to liquid, then combine with the olive oil, Worcestershire, and seasonings in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Pour ⅔ of the seasoning liquid over the pan of mixed cereals and pretzels, stirring well to coat the pieces.
- Pour the remaining ⅓ of the seasoning liquid over the mixed nuts, and set aside
- Bake the cereal and pretzel mix for 60-75 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. After the first 30 minutes, add the nuts, stir, and return to the oven for another 30-45 minutes.